Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TwD - Chocolate Truffle Tartlets

This post is sadly lacking pictures, because I was more than a little distractable whilst I was baking and completely forgot to stop and do my photo-documentation. This is really unfortunate in this case, since there were lots of points that would have been good to share.

I didn't have my book for the first Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, so I was excited to get this one going. I decided that I would bake on the Friday prior to posting day so that I had a chance to compose my posts. Well, that was a good theory and helped with the normal delays that are part and parcel of the momma gig. I didn't manage to start the tarts until Sunday and finish them until yesterday. I finally got to eat one today.

I started the tartlets on Sunday in the hopes that I would be able to take 5/6 of them to an un-birthday party we were attending (had to leave one at home for My Sweet Man). I had looked at the posts from those intrepid bakers who had already finished the recipe so I knew that the dough would be crumbly and that being in a dry, arid climate I might have to add a bit of extra water. I decided to go ahead and do the recipe as written and make adjustments as necessary.

After working the yolk and water into the dry ingredients by fingertip and with my pastry scraper and working it with the heel of my hand against the countertop, I thought that the dough was together enough that chilling it would bring the dough together the rest of the way. Unfortunately, I mis-judged and when I took the dough out it was still too crumbly to work with. I added about another tablespoon of water and re-chilled the dough. This time it came out just fine, albeit too late by the end of the second chilling period to finish the tarts for the party (sorry, guys).

On Monday, I was able to pull the formed tart shells out and pop them in the oven to bake and make the filling. I used Ghiradelli chips for the three types of chocolate, which saved me the chopping portion of events (I'm not lazy, I'm efficient!). I've always been a bit skittish of using a double-boiler and melting chocolate, but it worked fabulously well. I even forgot to pop over and stir it when I started the base of the filling and it held up just fine for me.

In retrospect, I think I may not have whipped the yolks long enough. I thought that I might have over whipped them, because my tarts looked puffier and softer than the tarts in the photos in the book, but after watching the episode of Baking with Julia where they were featured, it looks like I should have waited until the yolks were even paler and thicker than I did.

Even with that, these little gems are delicious! I was entirely too full to eat one after dinner last night, but the kids thought they were great. I had one this afternoon cold, with vanilla ice cream on the side. Yummy!

Much thanks to the Tuesdays with Dorie crew for letting me join in on this adventure. Stay tuned for Rugelach, coming on March 6. Hopefully with pictures. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Glad all turned out well for you. I'm looking forward to trying the Rugelach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything worked out for you!
    My rugelach fillings and dough are in the fridge waiting to be rolled out and baked... That's a project for either tonight or tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete